Happy Birthday, Jack Kerouac, born 12 March 1922, died 21 October 1969
One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
Kerouac’s Rules for Writing
Fellow writers were always asking Kerouac how he did what he did. So Kerouac set down 30 essentials in something he called Belief and Technique for Modern Prose. These tips may or may not make sense to you, but that’s Kerouac, man:
- Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for yr own joy
- Submissive to everything, open, listening
- Try never get drunk outside yr own house
- Be in love with yr life
- Something that you feel will find its own form
- Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
- Blow as deep as you want to blow
- Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind
- The unspeakable visions of the individual
- No time for poetry but exactly what is
- Visionary tics shivering in the chest
- In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
- Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
- Like Proust be an old teahead of time
- Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
- The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
- Write in recollection and amazement for yourself
- Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea
- Accept loss forever
- Believe in the holy contour of life
- Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind
- Don’t think of words when you stop but to see picture better
- Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
- No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
- Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it
- Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form
- In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness
- Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better
- You’re a Genius all the time
- Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven
Kerouac was an American novelist and poet. He is considered a literary icon, and a pioneer of the Beat Generation. Kerouac died at 47 from internal bleeding due to long-standing abuse of alcohol.
Since his death Kerouac’s literary prestige has grown. All of his books are in print today, among them: On the Road, The Dharma Bums, and Big Sur.
I FOUND MY OLD SCHOOL BUS PASS PICTURES HAHAH it’s like
little me hello
weird growing up me
then bam hello puberty
people messaging me if I have a mega pokemon evolution, this is me now lol
Well fuck me sideways and call me Ash
Have you heard of Ban Bossy? It’s the new initiative from Lean In and the Girl Scouts that’s trying to ban “bossy” and similar words that are used to bring down girls that are ambitious, take risks, and speak up. By changing the way we treat girls who lead, hopefully our generation will someday see more women in leadership roles.
don’t read the youtube comments on this.You want to know why this person is encouraging you not to read the comments? Because some of the comments are the truth about how stupid this shit is. Its like “I’m offended you called me bossy so I’m going to be EVEN MORE BOSSY and promote the banning of the word “Bossy” to make myself feel better!” Because its not just men that call women bossy. Women call other women bossy if they don’t like them and guess what. Bossy is very much a personality trait to narcissists people. And I honestly doubt people lose their confidence from being called bossy. I would talk that person down and say “No, I’m taking initiative.” What this does is showing that women are incapable of taking insults and must rely on censorship to get what they want.
And there’s a word for a bossy man, it’s called an asshole. This campaign only coddles women to make sure no one says bossy instead of teaching women not to care what people think. If you fall apart after being called named, then you’re not strong enough to be a leader. This is a waste of time and money. There are girls from developing countries who legally aren’t considered human beings. Being called bossy is not the end of the world. And, bossy is not the same as being a leader. If a woman is called bossy, she’s only likely being rude and inconsiderate to other people. Unfortunately, first world society lumps being a cruel woman is being empowered woman.I know right. And I read the comment sections specifically the top comments and guess what? NONE OF THE COMMENTS ARE SEXIST. The top comments ARE FROM WOMEN POINTING OUT THE HYPOCRISY OF THIS WHOLE THING! THAT’S WHY TUMBLR DOESN’T WANT YOU READING THE COMMENTS! TUMBLR IS A HIVE MIND WHERE THEY DON’T WANT YOU ACTUALLY LOOKING AT THE TRUTH IN FRONT OF YOU.
Bold the truth
Besides, saying that women get less air time and are interrupted in class is false and stupid. Teachers usually make sure that everyone in class participates by putting down a calling system, or setting up a point system for the amount of times a student answers.
Oh this could be fun.
I swear to god if any of you say flynn rider
Ask box is still empty… :(
ask box is empty so go for it!